Sunday, April 19, 2009

A day like no other...

Sometimes bad things really do come in threes. I had no idea early Thursday morning that it would become a day I would never forget. I woke up like usual, showered and got dressed. Did my hair and makeup, told my husband I loved him and walked out the door for work. That is where "normal" ended. I hopped into the truck, turned the key and... nothing happened. Not even the slightest of noises. At first I thought maybe I had put the wrong key in...nope. I tried again this time pleading with the car to start. I continued the half beg/plead/demand for several more attempts until I knew I was in trouble. So I went back upstairs and hesitantly told my husband what had happened. I knew it was my fault because I didn't shut the door all of the way the night before.

He didn't rant, he didn't rave, he just helped me (with the help of a few neighbors) push the truck out of the garage (yes, we had a tandem garage) and into a parking spot to get to the car. He drove me to work never once yelling, or saying it was my fault. In fact we laughed about how sometimes stuff like this just happens. I said " I hope this isn't a sign of things to come today" (If only I had known.) He dropped me off at work, gave me a kiss and told me he loved me. Off he went back home to shower and to call his boss to explain why he was going to be so late to work.

The day went on. I had to deal with some real stinkers at work. Then, last period of the day, after giving two students what for, I checked my email. There it was. "There is a bomb threat on my building." I almost threw up. There I am with a class full of rambunctious 7th and 8th graders working on velocity and speed and I burst into tears. Never has my class been so silent. I couldn't say a word. I just looked at my IA, looked back at the screen, and fell into my chair. My students has no idea what was wrong or which one of them has finally sent me over the edge.From that point until the bell rang the moments simply dragged. I excused them with a wave of my hand. Many of my students came rushing to my desk to make sure I was okay. I even had students that heard I started to cry come and check on my after school. I could only wave them out of my classroom.

For over an hour I sent messages to Jordan's phone- no response. I was in shear panic. I have never felt so sick in my entire life. I didn't know what to do. I get teary thinking of it even now. I am sure you can imagine all of the horrible things that went through my head. All of the possible outcomes.

When I finally got through to him and I heard his voice I couldn't stop sobbing. I was overcome with relief. It is amazing how you can go from absolute despair to indescribable joy in seconds. He was okay. Everything was okay.

We spent that evening jump starting the truck- not the way anyone has planned spending the evening. In the process finding out that my cell phone refuses to charge (bad thing #3). But, it didn't matter. The little things like cars and cell phones it don't matter. It is the people that we love and care about that matter. Everything else isn't worth getting upset about.

Today's Sacrament meeting was about being grateful. I have so many things to be grateful for. My family, my friends, rice-a-roni (one of my favorites), my Savior and most of all my husband.

2 comments:

  1. What a day! Certainly makes you appreciate the important things in life. I shed a few tears when I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete